Thursday, June 14, 2012

Say no to equal love

There's no equal love in our house...

...Not anymore. Recently I went to Adore, an annual Christian womens conference. I loved it! It wasn't just the girlie chats, the romantic Parisian decorated foyer, the free photo booth and pamper lounge or the good food. I learnt stuff. Real good stuff.

I want to share one small thing I learnt. But first let me say I didn't get it straight away. It didnt gel or click until a week later after i'd pondered it and looked at it from another angle. So hear me out before jumping in or judging. Actually the speaker said something similar before she dropped the bomb too.

I don't love my kids equally. They don't get the same amount of love in the same way or at the same time. I don't look at them the same or talk to them the same. Everything is different. I love them differently.

When I first heard this concept I thought 'oh my gosh!', I also thought 'isn't that playing favourites?'

But the explanation makes sense. Are your kids exactly the same? Do they look the same, think the same and act the same all at once? Every single person on this planet is different. There is not one of us that is duplicated exactly 100% the same as another. Not even identical twins. For a start everyone has their fingerprints and their own DNA. We might have similarities with someone else but in other ways we are different. We have all been made uniquely and wonderfully. See Psalm 139:13-16 in the Bible.

So if we are all different, why should we be loved the same? We should be loved according to our needs and who we are. That doesn't mean that we are playing favourites. And it doesn't mean we are loving one more than another. I believe that it is possible to play favourites but it is not done purely by loving differently.

So instead of equal love, try unique love. I am.



P.S. I would do absolutely anything, whatever is needed to love and protect both my girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment