Thursday, August 9, 2012

Tantrums!

So this morning I experienced my first 18 month old tantrum. So I now understand the unpleasant-ness associated with them.

I know why it happened...
DD1 is sick with an ear infection. Poor little thing. As a result she is over tired and she wanted something that she is usually allowed to play with when sick and miserable (the family iPad) but halfway through her watching a show the battery died.

Her response...
To cry, moan and whinge and then to tense her body and not move from that one spot. This went on for 30 minutes.

Mummy's response...
Well at first I had no idea! Then a quick think and I came up with this list:
1. Don't give in to her behaviour.
2. Distract her, give her another option.
3. Love her. Don't get angry.
4. Let her have some space to cool off.
5. After she's quiet enough to listen get down to her level and explain the situation.

That did not seem to help. So I continued with my task while continually counting to eight...
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8;
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8;
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. This worked!

I still don't know if this is right. What do other mums do? I will need to research this. I read at least 4 books about having and looking after a baby but now I need to read a toddler book. I actually have one called Toddler Time by Robin Baker. I'd better get it out and start reading.

What would you all do? Was this a normal toddler tantrum? Oh Lordy help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment