Friday, March 1, 2013

Sleepy time

I'm just starting to understand that having children means a lack of sleep well past the little baby stage.

I absolutely love my children and I love being a mum! Recently though I have noticed that some of the patience and the usually long lasting calm response I have to them in their difficult moments has been lost. I think sleep deprivation is partly if not wholly to blame.

So I have been pondering how to remain calm and be loving and not to raise my voice while I'm extremely tired and their difficult period just doesn't seem to end... Two toddlers teething at the same time!

God pointed me towards a blog that I haven't read in a little while that is priceless. It is by Michelle Duggar, American mum to 19 children and she's a Christian! I have found encouragement and wisdom from her blog before and I own their book 'The Duggars: 20 and Counting'. She has lots of great tips!

See her blog post about bedtime at their house... http://duggarfamily.com/content/michelle_blog/33832/bedtime_with_the_duggar_kids

I especially like this bit... "If one of mine wakes up in the middle of the night and comes pitter-pattering down the hallway to climb into bed with daddy and me, I love it. I don’t mind that a bit. I just let them come and snuggle with dad and me, and we all wake up in the morning smooshed all over the bed."

...There seems to be such a gentleness and love about Michelle. Even in the middle of the night she sees the joy of having children. It reminds me that kids are only little once and not for long!

God I pray that you would help me to be reminded of the joy of having children through the long nights and any other tough times. Continue to help me be a good mum and an example of your true love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment