Sunday, July 5, 2015

How to make it through sleep deprivation

A newborn or young bub who does not sleep for whatever reason is not the only one not sleeping. We mums cop a lot of sleep less nights too. 

Here's my list of things that help me make it through on very little or no sleep! 

1. Hot chocolate (or a cup of tea) in the morning. It is something the help liven the senses. The smell and the taste. 

2. A hot shower. This helps me to relax and to feel clean and fresh. Honestly just the sound of water will help. But there's nothing like the warm free flowing water rushing over a tired body. 

3. A big breakfast. I don't know what everyone else has found. But if I don't sleep I tend to be more hungry. I guess it's because instead of the rest and recharge we should be getting (when asleep) we are in fact loosing and still putting out. So our battery is really empty. A big healthy breakfast is my way of trying to re-fuel. I try to stick with natural and high nutritious foods. They give me more energy. But lots of breakie is definitely helpful. 

4. A daily morning devotional. I know a mummy's morning is busy and not really her own. But my day goes a lot better with even a 2-5 minute quiet time with God. It gives me a Kingdom perspective instead of a "poor me I'm so tired - blah, blah, blah" mentality. 

This is probably the most important thing on the list for me... 

5. Use your time overnight wisely. If you have to be awake holding a crying, sick or teething baby don't use it to just hold the baby. If you can sleep you should definitely sleep BUT if you can't sleep because you have to sit up and hold your dear little one then... I choose to either get the Word of God into me by reading the Bible (via a smart phone app). Or if you can't even sit down and you need to rock the bub then pace your hallway or nursery with a heart of prayer. Pray, pray and pray some more. 

I know that both of these things seem like a lot of effort for the middle of the night. But I've come to know (over the course of having my own 3 bubs) that they are worth it. Not only are they beneficial to my relationship with God and my spiritual walk but through this choice God gives me added strength. And I get a sense that what I'm doing is making a difference and my time is accomplishing something. 

I'm no longer pacing the hallway just to make a baby stop crying or to rock a baby to sleep. Now I'm pacing the hallway to declare God's presence over my family. I'm praying for our nation and it's leaders. I'm praying for breakthrough in other peoples lives. I'm praying for persecuted Christians right across the world. 

Then when the sun rises the next morning my night has been good and productive regardless of how much sleep I did or didn't get. 

I hope you're getting a good nights sleep. 

Love you! 
Nat xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment